Monday, July 21, 2008

Was OSHO the Indian Mystic George Carlin?

This weekend I was exposed to Dynamic Meditation with some friends, created by Indian mystic Osho.  It was like a combination of channeling a Sufi whirling dervish, playing freeze tag, and mindfulness meditation.  Some people loved it.  Others hated it.  It wasn't my thing.  At the end of the day, I prefer old skool sitting meditation.  By the last part of the technique I just really wanted to sit in lotus and watch my thoughts.

Before this weekend all I knew of Osho were some quotes I'd read in books with mind-twister titles like "All Your Answers Questioned."  I liked the fact that he had twin Os in his name, like a double-stuff Oreo.  Some of his philosophies made me want to dog-ear and re-read pages, but in all, he never made a big impression on me.

So some of my companions filled me in on what they'd heard of Osho.  Turns out, no matter whether or not you were helped by his techniques or turned off by them, this had been one Interesting Guy.

Oh, Osho.  What can I say?  He had 93 Rolls Royces at his Oregon ashram.  He allegedly wrote his books under the influence of laughing gas.  He was called a "sex guru" with a narcissistic personality.  His followers were said to have committed a bio-terror attack against the citizens of Oregon using salmonella.

Yeah.

Last night, my friend sent me this clip of Osho from YouTube, which made me wonder...Was Osho the Indian Mystic George Carlin?

I won't comment on the substance of this clip, but I will comment on the style:  Ahem, this guy was pimp.  I don't know about you, but I like all my Indian mystics wearing silver spacesuits on tinfoil thrones.